Ode to Night

I am a night owl.  I generally go to bed around or after midnight.  It is rare that I go to bed earlier than that and actually sleep.  It happened more often when I was newly pregnant – but by second trimester I was back to old habits …

Last night I was tired.  About 11:00 p.m., I decided to go to bed.  My eye lids were heavy.  I was ready to SLEEP.  I brushed my teeth, removed my make-up, turned on the baby monitor, crawled into my soft bed, and snuggled down.  I peeked at the clock; it was 11:30 p.m.  I had a nice, long night of SLEEP ahead of me … so I thought.

About 11:45 p.m., I heard a funny noise.  It wasn’t coming from the baby monitor.  It was coming from my living room.  I focused in – I knew that noise!  It was my cat working on hacking up a hairball.  Lovely.  I waited until she – um – worked things out and then went to check the damage (which thankfully wasn’t too gross this time!). 

Snuggled back into my still-warm spot in bed … Dan had not moved – not much phases him when he’s in R.E.M.  Lucky guy.  Anyway … time to sleep.  The clock said midnight.  I was back to my normal sleeping time.  No big deal. 

12:15 … in a foggy almost-asleep phase, I heard the distress call through the baby monitor.  Recently Miriam has occasionally been sleeping through the night – but most of the time, she wakes up for about 10 or 15 minutes somewhere between midnight and 3 a.m.  She fusses herself back to sleep, but I usually go check on her anyway. This cry sounded a little more desperate.  And sure enough, when I got upstairs, both of her legs were hanging out, stuck between the slats of her crib!!  Occasionally she does that – I really should have invested in a crib bumper but didn’t want to spend the money on a cute one and couldn’t find a second hand one I liked.   (TO-DO ITEM TODAY:  find crib bumper – no matter what color – at Goodwill). 

Readjusted the baby … turned on the lullaby CD … talked to Anna, who has to share the room with this baby … turned off the nightstand light in Andrew’s room.  Checked on the cat.  Back to bed:  12:35.  I wasn’t tired.  Read my novel until 1:15 a.m. when I was finally ready to fall asleep. 

So much for going to bed EARLY.  This is why I usually don’t bother – and even if the stars and planets align and NO ONE cries out or hacks up a hairball, those late night hours are blissful. I’d hate to miss them!

This entry was posted in Baby, Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Ode to Night

  1. melanie says:

    It's 8:30 ~ Do I blog or go to bed **early** while I can?

Comments are closed.