I love today’s date: 11/11/11 … wouldn’t it be a great day for an anniversary or to have a baby or something? It is a date to NOT forget. Of course, it is Veteran’s Day – and I am THANKFUL for all those who sacrificed and CHOSE to serve this country!! I am thankful to be a naturalized citizen of America. I love Germany … it will always be my “home”land … but America is where I was given so many opportunities – and best of all, where I met Jesus Christ!
Today I actually have a LIST of things I am thankful for as it might be easiest to organize my scattered thoughts:
1. SO thankful my father-in-law came through heart surgery!! He had a new procedure where instead of cutting his chest open (and potentially breaking his sternum), his incision was on his left side … and then the doctor went in through the rib cage. Like I said yesterday, modern medicine is AMAZING!! Even better was that his heart valve was repairable – and did not have to be replaced. Should make for an easier recovery – though after all that he went through today (probably 5+ hours in surgery!!), he will be pretty sore for a long time.
For now, he is resting in ICU … he is being weaned off the ventilator over night, Lord willing … and tomorrow may actually be able to move to a regular room? I’m planning to go see him then.
Apparently there was no lack of visitors today … my in-laws’ pastor stayed with them for the 12 hours from the admission to the hospital at 5 a.m. until the family could finally see my father-in-law around 5 p.m. Our pastor drove 80 miles one way to check on them as well – and took Dan, his mom, and Andrew out for dinner. Friends also came and went – and called. Dan said literally 100 people must have called to check on his dad!! What a testimony for the Family of God – caring, praying, and loving.
2. Today my daughter got an unexpected blessing in the mail. A distant relative who I’ve been in touch with via facebook sent her a ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR gift card to American Girl.com!!! You should have seen the look on her face. 🙂 What a HUGE blessing – and very quickly spent as the 2 newest American Girl dolls (Cecilie and Marie-Grace) are 25% until November 13. That meant Anna could get a doll AND her accessories. I paid the difference, which after shipping, was 20 cents. 🙂
3. I also won a CD off someone’s blog by coincidentally being the first to comment. 🙂 Yeh!! I can’t begin to number the things I’ve won from blogs … after a lifetime of being a LOSER (at cake walks, contests, door prizes, etc), I have won everything from dishware (from Dayspring) to food (Macaroni Grill) to gift cards (Walmart and Starbucks) in the last few years. I am SO thankful for the little blessings that winning something from a blog gives me.
4. God continues to REMIND ME that He loves me. I’ve recently been back in contact with several people from my graduating (high school) class … and one person in particular and I have been having a dialogue via email – and finding out that even though we weren’t really friends in high school, we have SO MUCH in common!!!! And this person has given me so much spiritual encouragement as well – completely understanding a situation that I am going through right now – and giving me Bible verses to claim through it. What a blessing!!
5. I am thankful to have the day off tomorrow – I am thankful for the friend/neighbor who offered to watch my girls while I go see my father-in-law in the hospital and pick up my son who is already there with Dan. I am thankful for my husband who is going to stay throughout the weekend to help his mom and make sure his dad is totally ok. While I miss him TERRIBLY, I am so thankful he is willing to take care of what is most important right now, even if that is NOT me. 🙂