Joining Joyce for Wednesday HodgePodge:
1. So, when did you last take a walk in the woods? A stroll along the beach? A drive going nowhere in particular in the car?
As a kid, I spent a lot of hours in the woods with my dog or or my family or my friends or by myself. Right now I can’t think of the last time I wandered through the woods … Unfortunately, there are no good walking trails here like there were in other areas I’ve lived. The last time I think of being in the woods is when my son and I were in Germany in March!
We did stroll the beach in September of 2011 on a school trip to Pensacola … but that too is a long time ago!
Now that we have 3 children and an ever-growing-tall son among them smooshing ourselves into either of the 2 vehicles that we currently have isn’t really very appealing. I’ve been praying for a mini-van or over 3 years now – but that’s beside the point. I can’t say we drive “nowhere” ever because it isn’t comfortable or fun … maybe we’ll ride around and see Christmas light this year since MiMi is almost 3 years old and at that age where all the Christmas sights are amazing to her.
2. Are you sending Christmas cards this year? About how many do you send? Photo card or something more traditional? How do you display the cards you receive?
I’ve wavered this year … I used to always send Christmas cards – over a hundred of them with pictures and a family letter. Last year was the first time I hadn’t done that … I only sent out a very few cards to a very few people –circumstances just didn’t put me in the Christmas spirit. I’m still up in the air about this years’ prospects of Christmas cards and/or letters. The next few days will tell … there might just be some GOOD NEWS to share!!
I used to string up a line or two of ribbon on a long wall in our living room and display the cards we received there. I love Christmas cards, which is why it pains me to NOT send them … but it seems more and more folks are just doing the on-line thing or not sending cards any more.
3. What’s a word you’ve heard too much of in the past week?
“HOLIDAY” this or that … it is OK to say CHRISTMAS, people!!!!!!
4. December 13th is National Cocoa Day-are you a fan? Plain or flavored? Marshmallows or no marshmallows?
I do like an occasional cup of hot chocolate … I prefer plain – but with marshmallows or even better, whipped cream!!
5. What is something you do to help alleviate the hectic pace of the Christmas season?
Say NO … and refuse to over-commit. I don’t host any parties myself because there are already too many events to go to as is.
6. Besides jewelry, what’s a favorite sparkly-glittery item in your home or closet?
Right now, it is my Christmas tree! I don’t have a pre-lit tree … in fact, our tree is close to 20 years old! BUT I just added a second string of white lights today – and it has made all the difference to sparkle up my old tree!
7. Share a favorite line or two from any Christmas carol.
Still, still, still,
‘Cause baby wants to sleep.
The angels jubilate beautifully,
By the manger making music.
(An Austrian carol that has a hauntingly beautiful melody – the words are somehow much more poetic in its native German!)
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I am ready for 2013!! This has been a reaaaaaaalllllllllllly long year for our family … and by God’s grace, we’ve almost made it – hopefully smarter, better, and with stronger faith. We are looking forward to new beginnings in a new year – and perhaps even in a new location … but that’s all I can say for today.