It is time to join Joyce for another Hodge Podge:
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen’s English…here’s the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
March 2012 … Took my son to Germany for 10 days – and we rode the train several times: from Frankfurt to Darmstadt (to visit family) … from Darmstadt to Ravensburg (to visit more family) … from Ravensburg to Frankfurt … and from Frankfurt to Wuerzburg (where my son was born) and back.
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite ‘flavor’? Favorite topping?
Just on Tuesday, after we got our hair trimmed, my daughter and I had a little date to Panera Bread company for a BAGEL. 🙂 I like cream cheese on mine.
4. ‘Tis the season of awards shows…if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I’ve love to be in some Jane Austen movie … Maybe Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice , especially opposite of Colin Firth.
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months….what say you? Do you think kids perform better if seperated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you’re a parent, is this something you’d support in regard to your own children?
Not big on gender separation in the classroom. While I wouldn’t think it was discrimination to separate genders, I am not sure it is truly beneficial?! I will say I am a little bit old fashioned – and I remember when the Citadel first allowed a female cadet to enroll … and somehow I was a little mad at her – WHY did she need to enter a “man’s world”. But the time’s, they are a’changin. Which makes me wonder WHY would a school now consider gender separation when women are fighting so hard for their equal rights with the men??
6. What’s your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Probably just being away from home … even when I’m “relaxing” at home, I can still SEE all the things I need to be, should be doing, cleaning, fixing. At a hotel, I can just forget those things: out of sight, out of mind.
7. Do you have a ‘word’ for 2013? What’s the story behind your choice?
I do: it is the word RESOLVE.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Wednesday is my last “normal” work/school day for the week. Thursday, we are going with our son’s basketball team to a tournament near St. Louis. Friday, my husband has a follow-up appointment in Columbia (Missouri) with his surgeon (he severely broke his leg on Oct 5) – we are praying for NO MORE CRUTCHES, especially as he begins a new job on January 28. And Saturday I am going to browse some antique shops with a friend – no doubt this will include lunch and lots of laughing and talking! Looking forward to each day coming up.