Before – and Almost After

My bathroom has been a work in progress for a while.  Going to the downstairs bathroom at my house was like stepping back in time to 1988.   And while I do like ROSES, this bathroom had an overwhelming amount of rose accessories to go with the rose patterned linoleum:


About a year ago, I decided to replace the old silver and white light fixture with a brushed nickel one which led to me switching out the towel rods and toilet paper holder-thingy … and then the hardware on the cabinet didn’t match, so I painted the cabinet and changed out the handles …

Well, a few weeks ago, I decided I was finally sick of the shower curtain (roses, roses, roses) and rugs that I have had FOREVER (ok, 8 years, but still …) and then remembered that a lot of the towels we have were wedding gifts (I got married over 20 years ago!).  Since Target was having a decent sale on a certain brand of towels and bath accessories, I invested in a new shower curtain and some plush, fluffy, new towels (hand towels and wash cloths too!).   Man, I didn’t know what I was missing!!!!  I will from now on only have  fluffly, plush towels.  I am officially a towel snob now too …


With the roses-theme GONE (a rose border was removed a long time ago too!), the rose flooring that is in the bathroom was looking exceptionally sad and yellowed and outdated.  And so ………….. I decided to tackle the floors!  With a little trepidation, I bought 60 peel-and-stick-floor tiles and some primer stuff … and tonight (Thursday), I began.  It took some studying and reading instructions, looking at websites and really thinking things through how to best lay the tiles … but finally, after measuring twice, I said a prayer and laid the first tile, which in tile-laying is apparently THE tile that all other tiles will be based upon.  It’s THAT critical.  Who knew??!  Probably every home-improvement-doing person EXCEPT ME.

While I’m NOT one to be hosting a “do it yourself” blog post, I will share this project because it is one that may actually turn out without me calling in a professional to finish it for me!


Did you know dollar store aluminum pans made great containers for primer … and also great for taking to potlucks so you don’t have to remember to bring your dish home!  🙂


Laying peel-and-stick tile is actually pretty easy .. it’s the trim work stuff that gets a little touchy (note area around the linen closet door … still need to make templates and tackle that).


HELLO 2013 … or at least the 2000’s!   By the time we get our house all fixed up to put on the market, I will love it so much that I won’t want to sell it!  Why didn’t we do this sooner —- I guess we thought it was too expensive or we’d do it “some day”.   And here, I only invested $50 into this floor project – and the results, in my opinion are worth every penny.


(Obviously I am no DIY blogger … excuse all the potty and potty seats in this picture! LOL  Just keepin’ it real.)


This entry was posted in home improvement. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Before – and Almost After

  1. Sandra says:

    It’s looking great, you did an awesome job 🙂

  2. melanie says:

    Looking good!!! 🙂

  3. Michelle says:

    That looks great! I may need to try some of that in our bathrooms, they need some new floor pretty badly! And new towels are so nice, I wish we needed some so I could have an excuse for fluffy ones!

  4. charla says:

    Wow! That is so impressive. I hear you about the towels. Our bathroom flooded a few months ago and a neighbor ran to the Dollar Store down the road to get a few extra towels for us. Those towels are the nicest ones we have had in years. The others we have give new meaning to the phrase ‘thread bare’.

Comments are closed.